Saturday 21 February 2015

REVIEW 'Strings' by Kat Green

'Strings' by Kat Green




Goodreads Synopsis:

"The rise of the Black Eagles was meteoric, from band practice in the garage to global stars almost overnight. And Melissa Webb, the beautiful girlfriend of the front man, appeared to have it all. But when Luke Black disappears without a trace and Melissa wakes up in a hospital bed after a savage attack, her perfect world is shattered and their lives are plunged into a potentially deadly crisis. Where is Luke, and can he be found before it is too late?"







Hey there Elementareaders!

Kat Green very kindly sent me a digital copy of her novel 'Strings' to review and I absolutely loved it!

'Strings' is a romance/thriller based around a rock band called The Black Eagles. It opens with Melissa, girlfriend of the lead singer, in hospital after a brutal attack. Her boyfriend, Luke is missing. Melissa is telling the police what happened, and through her we get the whole story of how they met and how The Black Eagles rose to fame. Melissa and her best friend Beth met the band when they were still unknown and playing in pubs. After meeting the band backstage after the show Melissa and Beth are welcomed into the group, Beth also dating one of the band, Dale. The girls also meet Amber that night, a crazed fan who it turns out had a one night stand with Luke and is now obsessed with him.

The book is comprised of flashbacks of Melissa's story, interspersed with scenes of present-day Melissa in the hospital. I think this format worked really well as we are hit full blast with the thriller storyline right at the beginning which grips the reader from page one, then we get the romance and rock band story throughout. This format is also really great for letting the reader piece together what happened with the attack and I felt like I was part of the story, working out the mystery alongside the police.

I know nothing of how the music business works and am not the sort of person who goes to lots of gigs, but I found this book very interesting an learned a lot about how musicians can get their big break and what happens afterwards with the record labels. It's both entertaining and informative! This book also emphasises on how the media can cause problems by making things up for a story and how troublesome the paparazzi can be for bands and their friends.

The books ends (this isn't a spoiler, I promise!) with the conclusion to the thriller part and I thought the ending was just perfect. It is so well written and so easy to read that it's really hard to put it down. The characters are all so rounded and well written that I really cared about all of them and wanted to read about their lives. So much so that I was disappointed when I came to the end, and wanted to read more about how they dealt with the aftermath of the attack!

This was such a great debut novel from Kat and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work in the future. In fact, this book was so good that I've ordered a signed paperback copy from Kat's blog! You can buy your own signed copy HERE.

I also highly recommend checking out Kat's blog 'Inside the Mind of Kat Green' for character interviews, info on the soundtrack and general updates. She also does reviews and other great posts. You can find her blog HERE.

I would give this book 5 stars :)


Let me know in the comments if you've read this book or are planning to. This is such a great read and I highly recommend it!


Places to buy:

Follow Kat Green on:

No comments:

Post a Comment