Saturday 7 March 2015

Charity Shop Book Haul - 5th March 2015

Hello Elementareaders!


A few days ago I went to a few of my local charity shop and unsurprisingly came back with armfuls of books. I love buying books in charity shops for a number of reasons:

  1. They're cheap.
  2. The money I spend is going to a good cause.
  3. You never know what you might find!

I only spent £1 or less on each of these books (apart from a couple that were £2) and got some absolute bargains! I though I'd write this little post to share my purchases with you :)




'The Making of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' - I adore this film so just had to buy this book when I saw it!

'A Tolkien Bestiary' by David Day - A have a couple of other Tolkien encyclopaedias by this author and they are absolutely stunning! Loving this book :) 

'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon - A friend recommended this to me a while ago so I had to buy it when I saw it.

'Ptolemy's Gate' by Jonathan Stroud - I've had the first two books in this trilogy for a while and was super glad to find the third & when I got it home I discovered that it was signed by the author! Bonus!

'The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter' by Allan Zola and Elizabeth Kronzek - Harry Potter is basically my life so when I saw this in the shop window I had to snap it up!

'I, Jedi' by Michael A. Stackpole - I'm a big Star Wars fan and was super happy to find this novel that wasn't already in my collection.






'Wild Cards: Aces High' and 'Wild Cards: Joker's Wild' edited by George R. R. Martin - I bought the first Wild Cards book a few months ago because it looked interesting. Looking forward to reading these!

'Blue Noon' by Scott Westerfeld - I've just finished reading the Uglies Quartet by this author and loved it. This book is the third in a series (I have a habit of buying later books in a series then looking for the previous ones!) so hopefully I'll find books one and two somewhere.

'Tek Power' by William Shatner - Who doesn't love Captain Kirk? This sci-fi novel by the great man himself looks really good :)

'Trust in Me' by Sophie McKenzie - I'm a little ashamed to admit that I haven't read anything my Sophie McKenzie yet, but I've heard great things about her books!

'The Brightonomicon' by Robert Rankin - I've met Robert at a couple of conventions but so far have only read his short illustrated books. Looking forward to reading this as I hear he is a really funny writer.




'That's Another Life' by Julie Walters - I adore Julie Walters and her autobiography is bound to be a great laugh!

'A Long Way Down' by Nick Hornby - Again, I haven't read anything by this author but I've heard great things about his books.






'Bone Quill' by John and Carole E. Barrowman - This is the second book in the Hollow Earth series. I have the first but haven't read it yet! This series looks really great though :)


'The Keys to the Kingdom' series by Garth Nix - Unfortunately the shop had the whole series apart from book 3! Looking forward to reading these.




And finally, this gorgeous little box set of poetry books 'Faber and Faber Poetry Essentials' by Simon Armitage, W. H. Auden, Wendy Cope, T. S. Eliot, Seamus Heaney, Ted Hughes, Philip Larkin and Sylvia Plath - This box set was missing 1 book (The War Poems by Siegfried Sassoon) buy I guess that's the curse of buying used books. This is still a really lovely set though and I'm so glad I found it. 







So there you go, that's my *not so little* haul. I really need to stop buying so many books! (Never gonna happen :p) Let me know in the comments if you've read any of these books and what you thought of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment