Wednesday 1 July 2015

REVIEW 'Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London' by Sylvain Cordurie

'Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London' by Sylvain Cordurie

Goodreads Synopsis:

"Sherlock Holmes died fighting Professor Moriarty in the Reichenbach Falls. At least, that's what the press claims. However, Holmes is alive and well and taking advantage of his presumed death to travel the globe. Unfortunately, Holmes's plans are thwarted when a plague of vampirism haunts Britain. 

This book collects Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London Volumes 1 and 2, originally created by French publisher Soleil."








2**

Hi Elementareaders!

‘Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London’ is a graphic novel by Sylvain Cordurie with illustrations by Laci, and published by Dark Horse Comics. It is set shortly after Sherlock Holmes supposedly fell to his death fighting Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls.

The story opens with a vampire attack in London's East End in June 1891. A few weeks later Sherlock comes back to London and starts to investigate the attacks. One vampire, Selymes, blackmails Sherlock into helping him track down and kill another vampire, Owen Chanes, by threatening the lives of John and Mary Watson (who don't know that Sherlock is still alive).

I can't really write too much about the storyline as, in all honesty, I didn't really get it. The above paragraph is basically what I understood, but I found this book so difficult to follow. The story was pretty complex and I didn't really feel the artwork did it justice. Half the time I was trying to figure out which character was speaking when as a lot of the characters looked quite similar. I also found the text and the style of writing quite difficult to follow.

It was such a shame as I was really looking forward to reading this one. This book combines three things that I absolutely love reading; Sherlock Holmes, Vampires and Graphic Novels. I think that with a different style of artwork and a slightly less complex storyline this could have been a good read, but as it was I didn't enjoy it very much.


I would give this book 2 stars :)


Let me know in the comments if you've read this book, and what you thought of it!


Places to buy:
Amazon UK
Amazon US
The Book Depository

Follow Sylvain Cordurie on:
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment