Monday 18 January 2016

REVIEW 'All I Know Now' by Carrie Hope Fletcher

'All I Know Now' by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Goodreads Synopsis:

"I pushed and persevered through the crap all teenagers go through - the bullying, the boys, the peer pressure, the friends, the enemies, the frenemies... Now I'm here, watching you guys go through almost identical experiences; trapped on the wrong side of a computer screen. Helpless... Until now."












5*****

Hi Elementareaders!

‘All I Know Now’ by Carrie Hope Fletcher is a part memoir and part guide to getting through life for teens and young adults. Carrie is a singer, actress and successful vlogger with over 600,000 subscribers on YouTube.

Carrie first came to my attention around this time last year when I saw one of her covers on YouTube. I think it was ‘Defying Gravity’ or ‘On My Own’ (two fantastic songs from amazing musicals!) I fell in love with her personality then clicked on her channel and found out she vlogged too and immediately hit the subscribe button.

The majority of Carrie’s subscribers are teenage girls so to them I suppose she’s a bit like a big sister, to give advice about growing up. I'm a couple of years older than Carrie, but I kind of feel like she’s ‘lived’ more than me (if that makes sense!) and I think that anyone in their twenties could learn from her.

Carrie’s book is mainly a guide for growing up, learning from your mistakes and journeying into adulthood. She has also added some of her experiences into the book as examples, which I think is a really great way to get a point across and be really relatable as a human being. Some of my favourite chapters were ‘Happy and Healthy’, ‘Dating Myself’ and the whole ‘Internet’ section. But all the chapters were fantastic and packed full of useful real-world advice that anyone can put into practice.

I really liked the layout of the book. The contents page is set out like a theatre programme which I thought was a really nice touch. The chapters are short and concise; every paragraph has tons of information and there’s no useless waffle or repetition at all. The little illustrations by Carrie herself that were dotted throughout were very cute, and I liked that the chapter titles were in Carrie’s handwriting. I loved the addition of the resources at the back, telling youngsters exactly where and how they can get help if they need it. I feel like this is a book that I may go back to again and again, so the addition of the contents page will be really useful for that. I got the Waterstones exclusive edition which also has a couple of bonus chapters at the back, and an extract from Carrie’s novel, ‘On the Other Side’ which is out later this year.

I love how much Carrie’s bubbly and cheerful personality came through in the writing, even when addressing more serious topics. It wasn’t difficult to read the book in her voice, and as a result it flowed really well and I found myself reading large chunks at a time.

Although this book is aimed at teenagers and young adults I think that any fan of Carrie’s would enjoy it. I’m really looking forward to Carrie’s novel and I hope she continues to write in the future!


I would give this book 5 stars :)


Places to buy:
Amazon UK
Amazon US
The Book Depository (free shipping worldwide!)
Audible.com
Waterstones (Exclusive Edition)

Find Carrie Hope Fletcher on:
alliknownow.com
YouTube
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Tumblr
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment